26 November 2008

Active Duty

I must say in-processing is a huge pain.  But that's what active duty has been so far.  I arrived at Laughlin AFB around 17:30 last friday the 21st.  The base is smaller than I expected and everything is situated in a grid.  I drove into Del Rio to see what I would be doing for the next two years.  I will be the first to let you know that there is not much to do in this town.  There is no Hastings or Taco bell.  Surviving is going to take some effort.  I can see the lights of Mexico at night which reminds me how far south I am.  Topeka seems more interesting than Del Rio.  
I in-processed monday with a million questions that everyone else seemed to have.  Let me tell you that there has been lots and lots of paperwork, and I don't like paperwork.  However, things finally started going smoothly when I got my CAC (ID) card.  The things you can do with this little piece of plastic are amazing.  
I checked out of the base hotel this morning and am now getting ready to finish up checking in to the many stations on base.  I'll finish up at flight medicine and then move into my new dorm room.  It is furnished so I don't need furniture.  I now await my other belongings to be delivered, but it is Thanksgiving week so it is hard to get a lot done as I have a four day weekend.  
I believe Kansas plays Missouri this weekend.  Rock Chalk!  There is a Mizzou guy stationed here and I want to talk some trash!
Until then, happy thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Niki in High-Def said...

Topeka more interesting than Del Rio? I'm sorry!

Oh and Rock Chalk. I guess now you at least have some bragging rights w/ that Mizzou fan!

Hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. Have a good week!