01 March 2009

Out of the Dorms

I finally did it.  I moved out of the dorms on base and into a duplex.  I just couldn't stand coming home to a single room, that wasn't that big, seeming like I am being confined, and being cut off from the world.  Don't get me wrong, the dorm room was nice and all the appliances were refurnished and brand new, but I was getting claustrophobic.  Not to mention, no one really talks with a lot of people.  If you're a freshman living in the dorms at college, everyone is walking around trying to meet people.  Here, not the case.  My neighbors were well into pilot training, and I haven't even started yet.  I was feeling extremely isolated.  I couldn't really invite anyone over either.  Where are they going to sit? There's no coffee table to read funny coasters.  So I told myself, its time to get out.   Am I actually considering living in the town of Del Rio, and moving off base? Yes.  A good friend of mine was going through the same situation: going crazy in the dorms.  So we talked and decided to be roommates.  
Well, it didn't go as planned.  A lot of my friends live in a nice apartment complex across town.  Most of the community there is military anyway.  However, there is this regulation that says unmarried officers must live on base to the fullest extent possible.  Wow, talk about slave tracker.  I guess because this is a training environment they want us to be focused, but the government doesn't want to fork out the BAH if possible.  So, I checked into on base housing, which a lot of it is being contracted out.  That was a negative as well.  So, the last resort, was a UOQ duplex.  The housing office said yes, as long as we do it at our own expense.  It was a big pain, but it was totally worth it. I got my furniture out of storage and changed addresses (again).
So how are the duplexes? It's a bit old, but it is ten times better than a dorm room.  Just having more than one room to go to is awesome.  Plus, the neighbors welcomed us right away when we pulled up.  I am totally loving the fact that I have a yard.  I am in the process of setting up this house to look like a real pilot hut.  In the mean time, putting together furniture and trying my hand as an interior decorator has keep me busy.  I get a lot of satisfaction about putting something together.  Either way, this will take another week, but a house warming party is coming...get ready! 

No comments: